St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Church

  • Main St.,
    Mallow,
    Co. Cork

In 1818 the Church of St. Mary was built on a site just off Main St.whcih was donated by Mr. Charles Jephson of Mallow Csatle. This site was behind a row of houses that stood along Main St. Access was by a narrow lane to the west and south of the present Credit Union building, formerly the National Bank. These houses were gradually removed, thus providing a piazza fronting on to Bank Place.

St. Mary's Church In 1900 Canon John Wigmore, the Parish Priest, built the present Romanesque facade and laid the foundations for the campanile, which was completed some five years later. The money to complete the campanile and clock of St. Mary's was bequeathed by Mr. Francis Fitzpatrick, landlord of the Hibernian Hotel at that time.

The present bell in St. Mary's was originally mounted in St. Anne's, Church of Ireland. When the campanile was first erected, the old bell suspended on irons was affected by resonance from the limestone structure. The bell at St. Anne's Church was found to be suitable for the campanile so an exchange of bells took place. The old bell from St. Mary's was transferred to St. Anne's belfry where it worked perfectly and is still rung to this day.

St. Mary's Church St. Mary's Church


St. Mary's Church Location Map






Other Mallow Attractions

Advertise on Mallow365.com

Upcoming Mallow Events

Random Photo from our collection - No. 6075